Welcome to my laboratory!
What happens when you mix 1 part Italy, 1 part Kentucky, 2 parts California, and 3 parts vegan?
A whole lot of experiments.
Enjoy!

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Chickpeas with Tomato and Basil

I don't have any photos of this dish, but I do have a few pictures of my garden:

Here's O doing exactly what he's not supposed to do while I'm watering the plants!

Here's my first rose!

And here's a strawberry from one of my strawberry plants.
Last night we had K&S over, and cooked dinner and played dominoes. For dinner I made bread, kale with artichokes, chickpeas with tomato and basil, and blackberry-lemon ice cream. In my opinion the winner of the night was the chickpeas. They have a hearty, almost stew-like character, but the basil balances out the heaviness, making it a good summer dish. Here it goes:

2 large cans of chickpeas.
2 or so pounds of small-ish tomatoes, either cherry or plum.
A bunch of cumin--I must have used at least 1/4 cup
1 tbsp or so of red pepper flakes
2 tbsp diced garlic
1 large diced onion
2 cups very coarsely chopped fresh basil.

Saute the onions and spices in olive oil on medium heat until the onions start to dissolve. Add garlic for one minute until fragrant, but before it starts to brown. Add tomatoes and chickpeas. Cook on medium to medium high until all the flavors mix together, about 15-20 minutes, or longer, depending on your preferences. Remove from head. Add fresh basil and mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment